What is Benchmarking?
The People and Places Town Benchmarking System has been developed to measure, evaluate and improve town centres. It offers a simple way to measure performance enabling us as a town to develop effective strategies and a focused action plan to make the town more businesss friendly.
Positive findings (well above the national average):
1) It's a beautiful town (this was also the key finding in the branding excercise).
2) People would recommend a visit.
3) A high % of visitors live more than 30 minutes away.
4) People's predominant reason for visiting is leisure.
5) Cafes and restaurants are seen as a positive aspect of the town.
6) Business confidence is higher than the national average.
Room for improvement:
1) There aren't enough car parking spaces.
2) Footfall is low.
3) A pedestrian footbridge across the river would help.
4) Traffic congestion and pollution....
Although we may say we all know about the above issues, in some cases the report does challenge assumptions. We need this raw data to understand people's perceptions and motivations. The key is to focus on the things that we are able to put right and work constructively within the constraints we have.
We are having an open workshop for businesses (all welcome) at 6pm on 17th January 2018 at the Swan Hotel to agree a set of achievable actions we think will make a difference. We will then work with the Town Council and agree how best to deliver this plan.
Please download an Executive Summary or the Full Benchmarking Report and enjoy the read! There's lots of useful and insightful information in there.
If you would like to contribute any constructive analysis or suggestions, please add them to the thread below.
To be kept up to date with BoA Business related news.